The Venetian marine city of Candia, i.e. Heraklion, is the largest city and the administrative capital of the island of Crete. Today, Heraklion has a population of 225,574 and offers a large series of sightseeing, food and entertainment options. It is a unique place to take pleasure in modern amenities with a flair of the past.
The historical sites include, but are not restricted to:
- The impressive church of St. Titus Square: originally built by Nikiforos Fokas in 961, during the second Byzantine period, it first served as the city’s cathedral.
- The Venetian Arsenal (Armeria): the armoury, used to store guns and ammunition.
- The Nobles’ Club (Loggia): a rectangular two-story building, with 82 metopes and arcades, built in 1626-28.
- The Lions Square: the heart of the city and a standard meeting point, where the famous fountain of the lions (Fontana Morosini) was constructed in 1628.
- The Liberty Square: close to the local Archaeological Museum and Heraklion’s municipal buildings.
- Koules (Castello del Molo or Rocca al Mare): built at the entrance of the Venetian port, in 1523-1540. Across the harbor, there are the magnificent Venetian shipyards.
- The Venetian walls: an amazing example of the art and dexterity of famous Venetian engineer, Michele Sanmicheli. The Venetian walls made Heraklion the best fortified city in the Mediterranean.
When you feel you just had enough of beautiful images and relaxing strolls, it is about time you get started with some quite gratifying food and entertainment experiences. Thankfully, Heraklion is bound to satisfy all tastes and needs. Choose from a large variety of cafes, restaurants and taverns, and enjoy delicious appetizers, gourmet dishes, Cretan recipes with local delicatessen, fine wines and a glass of the popular raki, accompanied by traditional music. Ethnic and stylish coffee-shops, luxury bars and large dance clubs will keep you to your toes till dawn.
In order to achieve the maximum of hospitality and the most luxurious vacation you could afford, you have to check in at the best hotel in Crete, so you could enjoy unforgettable vacation!
Let the fun begin now!